I play guitar, drums, a home-made synthesizer, organ, and tape-loops. I live in Auckland, New Zealand. I like medieval and Renaissance music, Japanese traditional music, psychedelic music, electronic music 1950s-70s and rock and pop of the same era. I try to make my music available for free when I can. Yes I am some kind of communist.
I played drums in The Murdering Monsters and The Aesthetics. I co-founded and named The Futurians in 2001, and played on their first album "!Blastov!". I am currently in these bands: The Maltese Falcons, Olympus, and Pouffe.
If you have any technical or aesthetic questions about my music please contact me, I'd be happy to talk about it.
Album Cover Art
Supreme Commander LP cover image: 6" x 6" 300dpi jpeg
Cover image by Clementine Nixon
Faster Than the Speed of Time LP front cover image: 6" x 6" 300dpi jpeg
Cover image by Florian and Michael Quistrebert
Read all known reviews of Kraus on yon PRESS page.
- Music 101, Radio New Zealand National, 15th February 2014
- Under the Radar 20 November 2013
- Phantom of the Factory Issue XY28, November 2012.
- Crop Magazine June/July 2011
- Foxy Digitalis 27 October 2009
For further information, I decided to conduct some interviews with myself. These are listed below. The titles refer to the original source of the questions.
- 1973 Melody Maker talks to
- 1973 Guitar Player talks to
- 1971 Melody Maker talks to
BeatlesKraus Press Conference 1
BeatlesKraus Press Conference 2
- Your favourite virtue. Socialism
- Your favourite qualities in a man. Tries to be nice and kind and polite. a sweet angel.
- Your favourite qualities in a woman. Funny, also ditto
- Your chief characteristic. Plodding anxiety
- What you appreciate the most in your friends. when they bring food
- Your main fault. Can't imagine one
- Your favourite occupation. Cleaner. Or violent revolutionary
- Your idea of happiness. Blake's 7
- Your idea of misery. Being separated from Maryann
- If not yourself, who would you be? A nerdy bedroom musician
- Where would you like to live? Deep forest
- Your favourite colour and flower. Brown.No, cream. Red
- Your favourite prose authors. James M. Cain, William Boyd
- Your favourite poets. Troggs
- Your favourite heroes in fiction. Kerr Avon, Lebedev, and the protagonist in "The Burrow"
- Your favourite heroines in fiction. Vera in "Detour" (1945)
- Your favourite painters and composers. Klee, The Egyptians, and, again, Troggs. I mean literal troglodytes, not the band.
- Your heroes in real life.
- Your favourite heroines in real life.
- What characters in history do you most dislike. The English
- Your heroines in World history. Greenham Common Women's Peace Camp
- Your favourite food and drink. Bread, beer. Anything with yeast
- Your favourite names. Maryann, Xerxes
- What I hate the most. Classism (note: not a typo, I mean CLASSISM, not classicism)
- World history characters I hate the most. Rich people of any country or era
- The military event I admire the most. the NLF defence of Vietnam
- The reform I admire the most.
- The natural talent I'd like to be gifted with. The gift of music
- How I wish to die. Me too
- What is your present state of mind. Concentrating on typing/drunk
- For what fault have you most toleration? Meanness caused by poverty
- Your favourite motto. "No man is good enough to be another's master"